Simple yet highly versatile, tote bags are back in style. Their oversized avatar – known as shopper bags – are being loved by all. Tote bags are making their way into all categories from daily wear to luxury. They have officially replaced the ultra-mini bags from summer 2023 as the focus is shifting to wearability and ease of use. Totes are a popular choice among minimalist fashionistas and also perfectly fit into the quiet luxury trend.
Tote bags are available in a variety of fabrics other than canvas or cotton such as leather (or faux), jute, denim, wool, twill, satin, and suede. Whether you want a tote bag to carry groceries or use a structured tote for travel essentials, there are a plethora of design options to reflect your personal style and add an element of fun to a variety of outfits.
Different Types of Tote Bags You Can Try:
- Minimalism: For those who love to keep it simple, line and typography art are minimal designs that look great on tote bags. Go for neutral shades for the ultimate quiet-luxury vibes.
- Vintage + retro art: Tote bags with vintage-style paintings or retro flowers, hearts, and chequered patterns pair well with casual cargo pants and crop tops. Perfect for those who love 90s fashion.
- Sustainable: Carrying shopper bags in itself is a great sustainable choice. However, if you wish to share the message of sustainability, you can go for designs that promote recycling or are made using eco-friendly methods and fabrics.
- Floral/Plant lovers: This is for everyone who loves plants, flowers, and everything related to nature. Floral prints, designs with leaves, or cute quotes (like “Plant Mom”) will be a cheerful addition to your ensemble.
- Full Print: Love classic bags? While woven or tweed fabric totes can get expensive, prints that mimic these patterns are a pocket-friendly way to get the look. You can also go for houndstooth and chequered designs.
- Quotes: If you read daily affirmations, having uplifting and positive quotes on your tote bag will do wonders for lifting your spirit. Book lovers can also go for quotes from their favourite authors.
- Music: Showing love toward your favourite band or musician does not have to be limited to t-shirts. You can get a tote bag with designs from the band’s album covers or typography art of their best lyrics.
- Collecting from travel: If you’ve been bitten by the travel bug, getting totes with designs of iconic monuments from a country you visited or the skyline of your favourite city will make an amazing memento.
- Sports: Show off team pride in tote bags with the emblem or hashtag of the sports team you support (#BleedBlue). You can also simply go for symbols from your favourite sports like a cricket bat or football.
- Astrology: The ideal tote design for astrology enthusiasts! Get tote bags with your sun sign, celestial prints, or a zodiac wheel chart for the ultimate good witch-vibes.
- Polka dots: Big or small, monochrome or colourful, no one can deny that polka dots are simply fun. They are one of the prints from the 90s which is relevant even today and should make it to your tote bag-wish list.
- Pet Lovers: Whether you are a pet parent or love spending time with stray dogs and cats, tote bags with animal doodles will make you happy every time you see it!
- Food: Tote bags are a grocery shopping staple and getting food designs might seem too on the nose, but getting doodle-style or painting-inspired fruit and vegetable designs will make them fun and functional.
- Beach: Tote bags with sunny ocean designs are perfect for all the beach bums who daydream about being at the beach. You can also use them for essentials while visiting the beach to be on theme.
- Ruffles/Tassels: If you love adding romance and drama to everything you own, tote bags with tassels and ruffles are for you! They will elevate your look and add a splash of colour to even the simplest outfits.
- Embroidered: While prints are great for casual and daily wear, embroidery designs take the coolness factor of tote bags up a notch. While the options are endless, embroidered initials seem to be a favourite right now.
- Embellished: Blinged-out totes with rhinestones and metallic studs are great for casually glam looks. You can also go for pearl embellishments or fabrics like metallic leather and velvet for a luxurious feel.
- Geometric shapes: While stripes are the first thing that comes to mind, geometric designs on tote bags can also include abstract art with shapes, two-dimensional drawings and illustrations.
- Colour block: The colour block trend has taken over all clothing items, so why not take it ahead with tote bags as well? Complimentary colours are a safe bet, but you can totally go for striking combinations.
- Cartoons/Anime: From cartoonised versions of pets (or humans) to your favourite anime characters, this design option is ideal for those who prefer a touch of whimsy or want to connect to their childhood selves.