Minors in the United States with special immigrant juvenile status can get a Green Card and become Lawful Permanent Residents. A DACA Lawyer can assist you throughout the entire procedure. Contact them right away to begin investigating your case.

What is a special immigrant? 

A special immigrant is a foreign national who meets specified qualifications and is granted a Green Card. Depending on the Green Card classification, the employer or the immigrant must apply to USCIS. Special juvenile aliens and fourth preference employment-based immigration (EB-4 visa) are two instances of special immigrant status.

Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS) Advantages

Being qualified for the SIJS program provides the minor with several advantages. Among the most noteworthy examples are:

  • Obtaining lawful permanent residency in the United States. 
  • Remain lawfully in the United States and enjoy all of the privileges of a lawful permanent resident, including:
  1. Tuition is significantly lower than that of an international student. Those with an F-1 student visa, for example.
  2. Later, you can apply for the procedure of obtaining American citizenship.
  3. Being able to enter and exit the United States freely.
  4. Possess legal permission to work in the nation through employment authorization.

Qualifications for Special Immigrant Juvenile Status

To qualify for SIJ, the immigrant must meet the following legal requirements: 8 US Code 1101 and 8 CFR 204.11.

  • Must be under the age of 21.
  • Single. This signifies they have never been married or were married, but the marriage was terminated due to annulment, death, or divorce.
  • Currently based in the United States. This implies that you cannot apply from another country.
  • Have written permission. The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) or the Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) will provide this permission if:
  • You are now in the custody of HHS, and
  • The juvenile court order alters your custody or placement status.
  • Be eligible for USCIS approval. This implies you must have obtained a juvenile court order to receive relief from abuse, abandonment, or neglect rather than to obtain an immigration benefit.
  • You must have a valid juvenile court order. A state court in the United States must make such an order.

How to apply for SIJS 

You must submit the following papers while applying for Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS):

  • A state court ruling governing minors’ custody and care.
  • A petition for SIJS was submitted to the USCIS office. 
  • Petition for Amerasian, Widow(er), or Special Immigrant, Form I-360
  • Any of the following may serve as proof of your age:
    1. Passport.
    2. Your foreign government’s official identity paper.
    3. Birth Certificate.
    4. Other documentation proving your age.
  • Written permission from HHS or ORR.

Comments are closed.